We're on a mission to discover the next breakthroughs
Victoria is home to some of the best scientific, digital and knowledge institutes and businesses in the world.
Whether it’s the next generation of medical tech, designing sustainable food sources, or uncovering new ways to take action on climate change, Victorian innovators are already developing the research, technology and ideas that will transform our lives for the better.
Breakthrough Victoria supports breakthrough ideas and technologies to help solve globally significant problems, create industries of the future, improve health and wellbeing, and deliver prosperity and sustainable returns for Victoria over the next decade and beyond.
We invest for impact:
- To build the innovation ecosystem
- Create jobs and economic growth for the state
- Deliver financial and social impact returns
- Solve globally significant problems
- Improve health and wellbeing and boost productivity
We do this by:
- Connecting companies, research institutions, governments and investors
- Injecting patient capital to spark ideas and commercialise innovations
- Investing in ideas, people and businesses
- Growing businesses over the long term
- Creating sustainable jobs in future industries.
Unique business model
As an independent company managing the Victorian Government’s $2 billion Breakthrough Victoria Fund, we bring together commercial and government partners to build on Victoria’s track record for innovation.
- An independent decision-maker
- Commercially focused
- Strongly linked with governments
- Thought leaders with sector knowledge
We invest across the capital lifecycle
Everything from pre-seed to growth equity, including:
- Early-stage innovations with strong commercial potential
- Venture capital investment to prepare companies for growth
- Mature companies wanting to scale up technologies, products and services to capture local and global markets
How do we do this?
- Provide hands on support for founders and innovators
- Forge partnerships with investors, companies, start-ups and researchers
- Lift translation and commercialisation rates